The Barbican, Biecz

Biecz. Barbakan

Near the stairs leading to the Collegiate Church are the ruins of the barbican – a building that consisted of a sheltered passage (the so-called 'neck') connecting the defensive wall with a tower. This important element of Biecz city fortifications was built to strengthen the main city gate, the Upper Gate, in 1584–1610. n Hogenberg's 1617 print depicts the Biecz barbican after it was rebuilt after the destruction of 1601. The building was destroyed again by the great city fire of 1756. In 1790–1794, during a reconstruction of the road, the no-longer-needed building was dismantled. For nearly 300 years, its foundations lay undisturbed beneath the ground. In 1971, these foundations were restored; their outline was uncovered and made visible, and the fragment that had been destroyed s were rebuilt. Opposite the barbican is the First World War cemetery No. 106, where 386 soldiers of the Austrian-Hungarian and German Armies were buried, including 237 unknown soldiers. Its shape is an irregular decagon, and it is surrounded by a stone wall. The cemetery's area is divided into 4 burial grounds separated by walls; the individual parts of the cemetery are located on different levels connected by stairs. The stone Latin cross placed on a stone pedestal jutting out of the western wall is an important element of the cemetery.

Download free VisitMałopolska app
Apple iOS
Windows Phone

Related Assets