Weaving, Rajcowska Tower, Biecz

The 'radziecka' (also known as 'rajcowska') tower is one of three surviving fortified defensive towers from the medieval city fortification system. The first mention of defensive walls in Biecz is relatively late, dating back to 1399, when King Władysław Jagiełło called on all townspeople to help repair the crumbling fortifications. The name of the tower comes from the city 'rajcy' (councillors), who were obligated to defend it in the case of an external threat. Currently, the five floors of the tower house exhibitions dedicated to the past crafts of Biecz and surrounding areas. The exhibition is enriched by master craftsmen's workshops, documents, and craft archives. On the floor that begins this part of the exhibition are tools related to flax cultivation and processing, weaving, and tailoring. Additionally, there are devices for hulling groats, presses for oil and fruit juice, and tins for roasting flax seeds. Particularly noteworthy is the complete set of tools for processing flax with a large weaving workshop from the 18th/19th centuries. Tailoring is represented by a large collection of slug-heated and flat irons, a collection of blacksmith-made scissors, and a men's canvas shirt from the Biecz area. Next to the entrance door is a wooden organ made by an illiterate peasant from Rzepiennik Strzyżewski.

Download free VisitMałopolska app
Apple iOS
Windows Phone

Related Assets