Church of St. Anne Biecz

Ołtarz w klasztorze

The cornerstone for the temple's construction was laid on May 12, 1645, on the site of the castle chapel. The church is Baroque in style with a simple, uniform interior design. It is a single-nave oriented building. The rectangular nave adjoins the narrower and lower chancel, separated from the church's nave by a semi-circular rainbow. The painting on the rainbow depicts the Holy Trinity adored by the saints Dominic and Francis. It is the only decorative element of the church that took the form of a painting. The main nave contains six side-altars, all of which come from the years 1740–1746. On the main altar is a sculptural group portraying the Crucifixion (its title is ‘The Crucifixion’). The sculpture of Our Lady of Biecz dressed in clothes typical for a late 16th-century noblewoman is noteworthy. The musical choir has a 16-voice organ made by the Bracia Rieger (Rieger Brothers) company, with 2 manuals and a pedalboard. They were made in 1903. The Baroque poet Wacław Potocki, former Arianite converted to Catholicism, was laid to rest in the church's underground. The church and monastery contain objects of historical value, e.g., the iron door with embossed Jagiellonian eagles in the vestry from the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries, as well as paintings from the second half of the 19th century. The monastery owns a valuable book collection numbering more than 2,000 volumes; particularly noteworthy are the incunabula (books from the 15th century).

Download free VisitMałopolska app
Apple iOS
Windows Phone

Related Assets