St. Hyacinth's Chapel, Oświęcim

St. Hyacinth chapel was built in 1304 as a part of the Dominican monastery (a chapterhouse connected to a cloister) After its dissolution by decree of Emperor Joseph II in 1782, the chapel changed owners a few times and fell into disrepair. Its destruction was complete after the 1863 fire. Through the efforts of a priest, the chapel was bought from its Jewish owners at that time and renovated. During the renovation in 1894, the chapel was covered with a gable room closed with gables with recesses. The chapel was consecrated in 1894 and has remained in the hands of Salesians since 1898. It retained its initial Gothic style: it is a brick chapel on a rectangular plan with a 2-bay body with a gable roof and a bell turret covered with a cupola. A stone portal adorns the entrance. Outside, in the location of the walls connecting the chapel to the monastery, the chapel is framed by brick buttresses (early 20th century). Stained glass windows have the shape of elongated rectangles topped with arches. Above the entrance, there is a neo-Renaissance wooden choir with a piano, situated on stone supports and accessed via a stone staircase with a metal balustrade. On the southern wall, there is a marble early Baroque epitaph to Mikołaj Mstowski (1656) and the crypt of Oświęcim dukes is under the floor.


Download free VisitMałopolska app
Apple iOS
Windows Phone

Related Assets