Facebook link

The Corpus Christi Town Church, Biecz - Obiekt - VisitMalopolska

Back

Kościół farny Bożego Ciała Biecz

The Corpus Christi Town Church, Biecz

Kościół z cegły z dachem krytym blachą, widziany z góry. Wokół inne budynki.
ul. Kromera 16a, 38-340 Biecz Tourist region: Pogórza
tel. +48 134471017
tel. +48 694856363
tel. +48 600435261
Monumental and majestic, it rivalled the most beautiful European churches. It is no surprise that Queen Jadwiga supposedly liked to pray here. The Corpus Christi Church is an excellent example of late Gothic architecture. Its shape and structure have not undergone major changes and modernizations since its erection.

The church was erected from the end of the 15th century to 1521. Currently, it is the most characteristic element of the landscape of Biecz. Many valuable monuments can be found within its walls, including the mannerist main altar from 1604 with a painting from Michelangelo's circle, Deposition from the Cross (there are only three in the world), a late-Gothic bronze baptismal font from the 15th century, and twelve side altars presenting various styles. On the left side of the presbytery there is Saint Jadwiga's Oratory. Legend has it that the Queen frequently prayed here. The author of the polychrome in the presbytery was Włodzimierz Tetmajer. It is worth noting that there is a stellar ceiling in the chapels, one which has a rare “eye” motif. The church is considered to be one of the most beautiful examples of late Gothic sacred architecture in Poland.