Sanktuarium Pana Jezusa Miłosiernego Alwernia
Sanctuary of the Merciful Jesus, Alwernia
A slender tower and roofs of the Bernardine Church and Monastery are visible on the top of a high hill, above the old centre of Alwernia.
Erected in 1616, carefully renovated and reconstructed after the fire of 2011, the buildings are a beautiful example of the Baroque art. The church is recognized as the Sanctuary of the Merciful Jesus, since it features the painting of the Merciful Jesus, Ecce Homo. The last Byzantine Emperor, Constantine XI (1449–53), allegedly owned the painting, but it arrived in Alwernia only in the end of the 17th century. The sanctuary is the second place in Małopolska, after Kalwaria Zebrzydowska, where Passion plays are performed during the Holy Week and Nativity plays are staged during Christmas.