Coats of Arms on the Town Hall Tower, Biecz

Shortly after the town hall tower collapsed in 1569, its rebuilding started. Just above the four-sided part of the tower is a religious inscription made using the sgraffito technique. On the west side of the tower is Marcin Kromer's coat of arms, which he funded; next, there is a plaque with the Ligęza coat of arms and another plaque with the royal eagle and an inscription. The plaques on the town hall tower were funded by the Biecz starost Mikołaj Ligęza. Rebuilding of the tower's destroyed Renaissance tented roof began in 1709. The Baroque roof installed then survived until the city fire in 1903.   

Download free VisitMałopolska app
Apple iOS
Windows Phone

Related Assets