Starościński Gord, Biecz

Starościński Gord was previously the seat of the wójtostwo. It turned out to be insufficient and had to be expanded. The last hereditary wójt of the Biecz wójtostwo was Agnieszka Beata of Tenczyn. Between 1532 and 1537, the Biecz wójtostwo was purchased by the king and incorporated into the Biecz starostwo. Since then, the powers of the hereditary wójt (the nomination of one candidate for the rajca (councillor) office, appointment of a court wójt and jurors) passed on to the king. Then, the powers of the king passed on to the starost, who also possessed property. The seat of the starost was moved to the castle located to the east of the city – currently the Franciscan monastery.

In the first half of the 17th century, the Order of Friars Minor – the Franciscans – was brought to Biecz. They were initially settled in the wooden St. James's church but due to its wetland location vulnerable to the flooding of the Ropa river, they asked for a new residence. They received the castle and the starostwo seat was moved back into the old wójtostwo building inside the city limits. From then on, the building, already known as the Starościński gord, became the seat of the starostwo of Biecz. In turn, in 1642 the monks moved into a new monastery – the renovated castle. Renovation of both buildings began soon. In 1667–74, the prominent Baroque poet Wacław Potocki resided in the gord.

With the first partition of Poland, the metropolitan judiciary was dismantled. The Starościński gord no longer served its functions and, as with the entire city, passed into the hands of the Siemieński family. Later, the building no longer served its functions due to the dismantling of the state judiciary. At that time, during the decline of the city, there was simply no need to use this building. In the 20th century it was privately owned; after the war, it was handed over to school authorities.

Download free VisitMałopolska app
Apple iOS
Windows Phone

Related Assets