Antoni Żołędziowski's Room, Collegium Maius

Until the end of the 18th century, Collegium Maius was home to professors. Their quarters were much more modestly furnished, as the scholars led a clerical life. The rooms were not interconnected and many of the apartments had a separate entrance (now hidden behind a curtain).

The first room was named after the last professor who lived here — Antoni Żołędziowski. On display, there is an 18th-century set of folk-style furniture from Silesia and Lesser Poland, as well as a rich collection of copper baking moulds representing the traditions of Polish festive cuisine.

The 18th century was the time of profound reforms initiated in the University by the Rector Hugo Kołłątaj, whose portrait hangs above the door. It had not been until 1817 that the University of Kraków was renamed the Jagiellonian University in commemoration of the contributions to the University made by King Władysław II Jagiełło and Queen Jadwiga.

Download free VisitMałopolska app
Apple iOS
Windows Phone

Related Assets