The Sanctuary of Our Lady Help of the Faithful

Widok zbudowanego z cegły sanktuarium z zewnątrz.

The church and the Dominican monastery were established in the 1st half of the 14th century. It is an example of the Gothic architecture of Małopolska. Renovated after a fire in 1519, it was operating as an Arian congregation in the early 17th century. The vaulting of the church was destroyed during the Swedish invasion. After the wave of church and monastery dissolutions under Joseph II in 1782, the church became private property and fell into disrepair; it was renovated in 1895. The restoration work was managed by architect Stanisław Odrzywolski and, in 1901–1906, by the Italian architect M. Ceradini. The church was rebuilt in 1945 and gradually expanded from 1975 to 1985. On 24 September 1997, it was rededicated and named the Sanctuary of Our Lady Help of the Faithful. Initially, it was a brick church with an elongated rectangular presbytery with a six-nave cross-ribbed vault and a wider nave. It lost its initial shape during the restoration by Ceradini; the presbytery was transformed into a nave. The new vaulting retained the converted supporting ribs. There are two pointed-arch windows with stone traceries in the bays on the southern and northern sides. The nave is separated from the presbytery with a pointed-arch rainbow. In 1975–1985, the body of the church was extended to the west and the walls of the ‘octagon’ were reshaped. An extension with a similar volume and roof form, stylistically reminiscent of the Gothic style, was added to the nave.


Download free VisitMałopolska app
Apple iOS
Windows Phone

Related Assets