Raba Wyżna

The village in the district of Nowy Targ, upon the Raba River. In geographical terms, it is situated in the Rabczańska Valley. One of the first mentions of the village of Raba Wyżna (as Raba) is included in the tax registers of the Kingdom of Poland from 1581. It results from them that the village belonged to the Castellan of Kraków, Wawrzyniec Spytek Jordan.

Before the year 1580, a wooden church was built. In 1665, a new brick church was built by efforts of Adam and Zofia Skrzetuscy. The consecration of the new temple took place in 1668 and was carried out by the suffragan of Kraków, Bishop Mikołaj Oborski. In the years 1841-1843, the church was developed and formally consecrated by Bishop of Tarnów, Jerzy Grzegorz Wojtarowicz, on 13 August 1848.

It is worth pointing out that it was built in an exceptionally short period of time, as the development lasted only two years. It was also the huge, as for those times, building of the parish church attended not only by the residents of Raba Wyżna but also of Bielanka, Rokiciny and Sieniawa. At the turn of 1905/1906, painter Piotr Niziński (disciple of Jan Matejko) painted in the temple, on the ceiling of the main aisle, the plafond depicting Pope Pius IX declaring the dogma on the Immaculate Conception of Mary. During the occupation, the building of the church was closed by the German authorities and partially destroyed. After the war, it was restored by efforts of Prelate Józef Poloński (d. 28.01.1983) while complete renovation was carried out in the 1980s of the 20th century by Rev. Wacław Heczko (d. 1.02.1997), civil engineering technician by education. Back then, polychromy was created by Jacek Konarski.


Download free VisitMałopolska app
Apple iOS
Windows Phone

Related Assets