Willa „Dworek Gościnny” Szczawnica
Dworek Gościnny (Guest Manor) Villa, Szczawnica
The construction of the manor house was started by Józef Szalay in 1875 and was completed in 1884 according to the design of the Krakow architect Maciej Moraczewski. It was a larch mansion covered with shingles, decorated with galleries, porches, dormers and turrets. There is a ballroom for 500 people with galleries for spectators and musicians, an auditorium with a stage, a tractor room, a confectionery and a piano room, a reading room, a billiard room, a hairdresser and shops as well as Awit Szubert's photo studio. Guests used to drink coffee on the porch with the arcades.
In the 19th century, the manor house was the cultural and entertainment centre of Szczawnica. Famous artists performed here: Helena Modrzejewska, Mieczysław Frenkiel, Aleksander Zelwerowicz, Ludwik Solski, Juliusz Osterwa and Stefan Jaracz. There were meetings with Maria Konopnicka, Henryk Sienkiewicz, Bolesław Prus, Kazimierz Przerwa-Tetmajer and Adam Asnyk. In 1909, count Adam Stadnicki became the owner of the building.
After the Second World War, in 1948, the spa and the manor house were nationalised, and in the years 1959–1962 housed the collections of the Pieniny Museum. In late 1962, the building burned down to its foundations.
In 2005, the heirs of Count Adam Stadnicki regained the former health resort property and began the reconstruction of the manor, which lasted in 2008–2011 and was carried out on the basis of the photographs they had found. The body of the building as well as regional wood carvings and painted ornaments were restored.
Today, it is a multifunctional cultural and business centre with modern multimedia, lighting and sound systems. The manor house changes its character according to the events taking place and has once again become a place of extraordinary artistic and cultural events, parties and celebrations.