Sanktuarium Pana Jezusa Miłosiernego Ciężkowice
The Shrine of Christ’s Mercy — Ciężkowice
The town is known not only for its sandstone rocks located in the nearby Skamieniałe Miasto (Petrified City) nature reserve, but also for its sanctuary, which is located in the beautiful neo-Gothic Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle. The structure towering over Ciężkowice was designed by architect Jan Sas-Zubrzycki and erected in 1901–1902. Damaged during the war, the church was repaired after 1945. It is a basilica built of brick and stone featuring three naves, a transept and a chancel enclosed on three sides, with sacristies on the sides. In front, one can see a tall tower on a square plan, covered with a cupola. The richly decorated exterior walls are supported by buttresses. The church is accessed through a stepped portal, the roofs are flat, gabled and feature a bell tower. The interior features arcades, sharply arched windows with stained glass made in 1905, polychromes on the walls and vaults painted in the 1940s and 1950s. The main altar is home to the miraculous image of the Merciful Christ – Ecce Homo, painted on a board. Indulgences are held here on Pentecost, celebrated on the 50th day following Easter Sunday, and on the Feast of Saint Andrew the Apostle on 30 November.