Bazylika świętego Franciszka z Asyżu Kraków
Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi, Krakow
The Franciscan Monastery and Church are located at Franciszkańska Street.
The Gothic basilica was erected in the 13th century but has been rebuilt several times since. When Karol Wojtyła studied theology in Krakow, he often attended the services here. He used to sit in one of the nave pews, on the left side from the entrance near the music choir – today the site is marked with a small plaque. The later Pope often prayed before the painting of Our Lady of Sorrow, the so-called Dolorous Benefactressof Krakow, on the right side of the church nave. As bishop and cardinal, he often conducted private Stations of the Cross services in the Passion of Christ Chapel (on the other side of the nave). Today, the chapel features a copy of the Shroud of Turin, consecrated by John Paul II, as well as the coffin of Blessed Aniela Salawa, beatified by the Pope. In 1896 Stanisław Wyspiański worked on the polychrome in the Franciscan Church. He created the paintings which decorate the walls in the chancel, the initial part of the central nave and the western facade. The motifs of wild flowers, herbs and stars dominate the paintings. The artist painted figurative paintings next to the alter. In 1897 and Wyspiański worked on stained-glass windows projects: “Św. Franciszek”, “Błogosławiona Salomea”, “Żywioły” and the most famous and most magnificent “Bóg Ojciec”.